Sunday, June 20, 2010

Shared Holiday

Happy Father's day!  and Happy birthday to me!  I can't believe I am 26 years old.  Last night at my cousin's graduation party, someone asked if I was one of my cousin's friends.  My cousin is 17 and just graduated from high school.  Yikes!  Which makes me wonder - Am I going to be taken seriously as a doctor when I graduate?  Or will the clients ask for the "real doctor"?  But I was then told that it is a good thing that I look younger than my age and I will appreciate it one day :)

Interesting case presented on Thursday.  A MN three year old corgi presented with ataxia, difficulty walking/standing on his own, and couldn't keep his head up right (it kept rolling to either side).  The dog look neurologic, with no nystagmus present.  Ran bloodwork - unremarkable other then hypokalemia (value was 2.9).  Rads were fine as well.  Owner insisted there was no way the dog could have gotten into anything (typical).  Ended up recommending that they go to the teaching hospital (where I go to school - about 15 minutes away).  Apparently the owner dropped off the dog and returned home to search the house for anything the dog may have gotten into.  She then discovered that a 1/2 loaf of rye bread dough was missing that she had thrown away.  The dog had eaten it and the dough was fermenting - meaning the dog was essentially drunk!  The dog is doing fine and is home again after a nasty hangover the next morning.  

Which is how I feel right now - graduation party for six hours is a lot of time to drink a lot of beer.  I'm not really looking forward to my 8 mile run this morning... may have to trim that down a bit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment