Monday, June 27, 2011

Making Animal Babies

My first call on ambulatory was the horse farm on campus. There was a group of 8 or 9 mares in various stages of pregnancy/ovulation, so we checked out the pretty ladies all morning. Most had already been bred, so we fetal sexed a few of them. The first one was an obvious colt... after that it got shady because Standardbreds are big. We are not. No amount of trying was going to make our arms longer and able to get the ultrasound probe far enough to be able to check out the babies!

Another mare that we examined was 60 days pregnant - I got to palpate and feel the right uterine horn for the fetus - pretty awesome.

Most of them had foals still with them - little fuzzballs just following Mom wherever she went. Most stood patiently while mom got palpated, but one just couldn't resist nipping at us when we were getting some of mom's blood... it didn't hurt, and it was sort of cute.

Went to the meat plant/disassembly plant today - more on that exciting morning another time. I am exhausted and have a 4:45 am wake up call to palpate cows at 5:15 tomorrow morning... it should be fun, although I'm not very good at palpating... I think I'll be happy when I start ER, even though most of my rotation is on night shifts!

No comments:

Post a Comment