Intriguing title, no? Reasons for weirdness:
1. I just started my production med rotation. On day 1, I got to straddle a pig and ride around with it on a cart while someone drove us (the pig and I) around the ward... Okay, that wasn't weird, it was just awesome.
2. FARMS day 2, I got to scrub in on the placement of a rumen cannulae (so you can sample rumen contents whenever you want to). I got to wrestle my tiny steer because he kept trying to lay down with his rumen hanging out of his body. And he kept trying to kick us. So I punched him in the face. Sterile field my ass. Four hours later, I was covered in blood, ruminal fluid, feces, and saliva. I got to wear those scrubs all day long and bask in my wonderful smells. I also realized I need to start working out again if I'm going to be punching cows for 2 weeks.
2b. At the end of Day 2, I got to sample rumen contents from Brooke, the resident fistulated cow. We had an LDA come in from the dairy (left displaced abomasum) that needed the rumen juice. Kind of cool to see the full circle of things. Kind of weird to think that four years ago, working with cattle was the last thing I thought I'd ever be doing short of walking on the moon and running for president (although, the moon things sounds cool).
2c. A steer escaped in the middle of surgery and literally ran around with his rumen exposed. I can't say I've ever seen that before
3. Speaking of where I thought I'd be four years ago, I just went back to A-town to visit my undergrad. I seriously am in love that place - I met such awesome people and had a million hilarious memories that I'll never forget. Not to mention swimming and our team - really the best people on earth. The best part about visiting was that this was our first reunion weekend. At my school, they cluster the youngest classes, so I was with the classes of 2005 and 2006, along with my own, 2007. Not only did I get to see a lot of old friends and a handful of ex-hookups/boyfriends/god-knows-what-that-was sort of guys, I got to really spend time with SS and our friend Rory. I haven't laughed so hard in as long as I can remember and it felt wonderful. We shared a room in our old dorm and had a amazingly ridiculous weekend ... one that I'll never forget. Its incredible how quickly life can change when you least expect it, and how confusing and conflicting it can be. Life is weird...
4. I'm signing up for a half ironman in september. I don't know when I'll have time to train, I've swam all of two times in the past 6 months (even though I still think I'm pretty good), and I hate running in the heat. This bodes super well for training. But I'll do it anyway. Only a bunch of weirdo crazies do these races. I can't wait to be one of them (and by the way, its the Great Illini Challenge in September... now you can do it too!).
5. Too much to update. More soon. I decided I'm going to be a better writer/blogger... its therapeutic... and I think I probably need some sort of therapy right now.
2 days ago