Sunday, March 13, 2011

Client communication... and sickness.

We worked yesterday as always - but KJ woke up in a state of dying (he NEVER gets sick) so once we got to work, I told him it was okay with me if he sat in his mom's office and slept unless we needed him. It ended up being a pretty uneventful day, thankfully. We work with two other people on Saturdays, even though it doesn't feel like it because they still need supervision. Its been many months since they started working there, so I don't get it... but thats not what I want to talk about. As frustrating as it is and as much as I want to tear out my hair or punch a wall, I deal with it and stay incredibly busy doing the jobs of multiple people. I don't mean to sound conceited, but hopefully you get the idea. You've probably worked with people like this before.

As KJ sat in the back slowly slipping into a sleep coma, I ran all the lab tests (CBC, Chem, UA, fecals, etc), I held all the animals for both doctors, filled every single prescription... and still checked in/out half of the clients. I really actually did KJ's jobs and mine (plus part of theirs), so I was exhausted by the end. At one point, KJ crawled into the car and sat for an hour with the heat up as high as it could go. When I finished up, I came outside and opened the car door and a heat wave overcame me. Poor guy.

The day did have some good parts - mini dachshund puppy (11 weeks) that only comes on Saturdays for boosters. I LOVE HER. She has a dapple coat and is just beautiful. Plus, she weighs all of 4 pounds. She totally made my day - plus her owner is a tall, big guy - and always comes in holding her in his arms. ADORABLE!

I also made friends with another really sweet Rottweiler - the owner was in last week with her other Rottie and I charmed the collar off of that sweet dog, so I think the woman liked me when I gave her other dog the same attention. Plus, she was glad that I was the one holding her in the room.

It is so nice to see clients over and over again and have them recognize me and vice versa. I can't wait to start building my client base - plus, KJ and I are really blessed to be walking into such a successful, busy clinic. The clients adore his mother and are very glad that her son (and me) will be taking over so that it "stays in the family". The business is a family owned one, and I intend to keep it that way. Although I have worked in "corporate vet med" - I enjoy our version of vet med better. That is strictly my opinion - there are definitely benefits to the corporate run animal hospitals, it just isn't my thing.

2 comments:

  1. That's so great that you two have your future practice already all set up!

    I also wanted to say I love your new blog layout :) Maybe it'll make spring come a little faster...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am wishing and hoping for spring and warmer weather to come quickly!

    ReplyDelete