Monday, March 28, 2011

Cows, They're whats for Dinner.

I love steak. This makes it difficult to sit in ruminant health class. It makes me hungry - is that weird? Unless we are looking at weird pathology pictures, in which case I totally lose my appetite for beef and move on to sushi... because I'm always hungry for sushi. In fact, I'm just always hungry. Its the driving force behind my working out and running.

Speaking of cows - I completely forgot that we have a ruminant health exam on Friday. My lovely week after Spring Break was just ruined by this fact. We have a zillion small animal surgery quizzes due this week and next that I've been chipping away at - I try not to procrastinate when it comes to really simple things. That way, I feel like I am still doing "school" work, but it is sort of fun because I get to look up all the answers and watch TV at the same time. Everybody wins.

We also have our poultry final next week. In case you were wondering, this doesn't make me hungry for chicken because the pictures are really gross. How about I promise to NEVER treat a chicken, and maybe they'll just let me pass the class? In fact, I'll even offer to NEVER treat a cow in practice in exchange for letting me become a fourth year in a few weeks? I'm just not production medicine oriented. I look at animals as family members, as members of society. Cows, pigs, chickens, etc are not pets (usually). I get the realities associated with economics and production - but it is not in my interests to factor those issues into medical care. Randomly choosing animals to cull to monitor disease spread and things of that nature is just not my cup of tea. Mad props to those large animal students and vets - the USDA needs you! America needs you! The world needs you!

Plus, I just really love steak and we need those vets to make sure my steaks are all right for eating :)

1 comment:

  1. LOL - the 1st vet I worked for in Maine was a large animal vet to start out with. He had slaughterhouse work for a class (i think) while in school and became a vegetarian for over 10 years afterwards. Sometimes I think I'd rather not know...
    Steak makes me happy :)

    ReplyDelete